Your grades in the course are determined by daily performance. We do not accept late homework and would appreciate advanced notice if you foresee irregular attendance.
There is no curve in this course. You are competing against the communicative demands of the language, not against your classmates. Each person will have to perform to receive credit; but, there is nothing in the grading system to discourage collaborative efforts to achieve the highest level of performance possible.
Tests constitute 50% of your total course grade and homework the other 50%. Given how many homework and quizzes there are, it’s hard to score an “A” for this course but also hard to fail it. There is an oral final worth 10% consisting of recitations of written skits and short soliloquies from film clips.
Areas in which your performance is graded:
- Character dictation 听写; we have dictation each time the new vocabulary is introduced. You need to be able to write these Chinese characters correctly without looking at the textbook or dictionary. The character dictation also takes the form of skit dictation.
- Note-taking 记笔记; class notes are collected at the end of the class in which new words and phrases are introduced on blackboard. If you find yourself unable to write fast enough to take all the notes, you need to improve on the speed.
- In-class tests 测验/考试; these tests are routinely given to find out how well you are comprehending the text and readings. The formats of these tests include: multiple choices, true or false, filling the blanks, unscramble fragments, and sequencing.
- Homework 作业; it must be done on homework sheets and/or typed from your computer. You need to write full sentences rather than only fragments. If handwritten, your homework must be doubled spaced with plenty of margin for comments.
- Composition and essays 作文; sometimes the writing assignments can be in the form of interviews with Chinese nationals on campus when you need to transcribe the audio recording of the actual conversation.
|txt1 quiz||txt1 quiz2||是/的transl||vocab1 dict||lssn1 listen||read1 Moodle quiz||是/的 interview|
|lssn2 txt-qz||interview past||Moodle qz txt2||着quiz||lssn2 vocab dict||uses5 造句||lssn2 listen quiz|